Skip to main content

Oral Health Education Unit - FAQ - The Dental Profession

Frequently asked questions
Dental Services Oral Health Care Oral Diseases Oral Problems Teeth esthetic
Tooth eruption Teeth and
Periodontal Tissue Problem
Services of the Oral Health Education
The Dental Profession

The Dental Profession

How can I become a dentist?
What are the responsibilities of a Dental Therapist?
How can I become a Dental Surgery Assistant?

1. How can I become a dentist?
If you wish to become a qualified practicing dentist in Hong Kong, you can apply for the Bachelor of Dental Surgery degree programme offered by the Faculty of Dentistry of the University of Hong Kong. Please refer to the link below to obtain information on the relevant programme:

If you have already obtained a dental qualification from overseas, you will need to register with the Dental Council of Hong Kong. Their contact information is as follows:
Central Registration Office
17th Floor, Wu Chung House, 213 Queen's Road East, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
Telephone: (852) 2961 8655
Fax: (852) 2891 7946

Moreover, registered dentists are allowed the practice at private clinics or at clinics operated by public organizations such as government dental clinics and the Dental Hospital of the University of Hong Kong. Registered dentists can receive post-graduate training. After being assessed and recognized by the Hong Kong Academy of Medicine, he/she can be registered with the Central Registration Office to become a Specialist Dentist. If you have questions regarding the Specialist Dentists, you can browse through the Hong Kong Academy of Medicine website.

2. What are the responsibilities of a Dental Therapist?
Dental Therapists are dental personnel who have completed 3 years of professional training and appointed by the Department of Health. Their main responsibilities are to provide basic dental treatments such as scaling, filling etc. to children under 18 years of age. They also educate the general public on common oral health knowledge.

3. How can I become a Dental Surgery Assistant?

To become a Dental Surgery Assistant, you first need to complete an appropriate course, and these courses do not have a specific admission date. The Department of Health will hire Dental Surgery Assistants from time to time, and offer on-job training. Please look out for government recruitment advertisements.

The Prince Philip Dental Hospital also offers such a course, but a tuition fee is required. For detail information, please contact the Prince Philip Dental Hospital




Explanation of WCAG 2.0 Level Double-A Conformance