- Esthetic-the colour and translucency can match the natural teeth
- The material is not easily stained
- Hard and high in wear resistance
- Brittle and may fracture under heavy biting force
- Certain amount of tooth substance has to be removed in order to achieve sufficient thickness for the strength of porcelain veneer
- Tooth veneer or crown
- To restore teeth with high esthetic requirement, especially the front teeth
Procedures for porcelain laminate veneer
- Remove a small amount of enamel from the facial surface of the tooth.
- Take impressions of the upper and lower teeth and record the bite.
- Fabricate the veneer in the dental laboratory.
- Clean the tooth surface before bonding the veneer.
- Etch the tooth surface and treat with diluted acid such as 30% phosphoric acid.
- Cement the veneer onto the tooth.
Procedures for porcelain crown
- Remove a layer of tooth substance.
- Take impressions of the upper and lower dental arches and record the bite. Construct a temporary crown to protect the prepared tooth.
- Fabricate the porcelain crown in the dental laboratory.
- Remove the temporary crown and clean the tooth surface.
- Cement the crown onto the tooth.
Last revision date: 18 January 2012