Reasons for children to have tooth extraction
- Gross decay is found on a tooth which cannot be repaired or does not need to repair
- For the needs of orthodontic treatment.
- For the tooth which may cause other tooth or general health problems.
- Apply local anaesthesia to let the teeth and oral tissues to get numb.
- Use dental tools to take the tooth out
- Tightly bite on a piece of gauze or cotton roll to help stop bleeding.
Points to note after extraction
On the day after extraction, you should
Discomfort after extraction
- Not rinse your mouth vigorously
- Not disturb the wound with your tongue or fingers
- Not do heavy exercise
- Take pain control medication as recommended
Generally speaking, the wound will gradually heal in few days after the extraction. If discomfort persists, you should ask your parents to bring you to the dentist for a detailed check-up.
Last revision date: 18 January 2012