Reduced saliva secretion
Reduction in saliva secretion that results in a dry mouth is a common problem among older adults.
- Salivary glands are damaged after radiotherapy.
- Taking medications such as anti-hypertensives and anti-convulsants.
- General health problem like Sjogren’s Syndrome, Autoimmune Diseases, etc.
Consequences of reduction in saliva secretion
- Drink water frequently to keep the mouth moist.
- Tell medical doctor about the dryness of mouth. If the dryness is severe, artificial saliva may be prescribed. Or if possible, alternative medicines may be used to replace the causative drug.