A standard procedure
- Thorough examination
First of all, a detailed oral examination is performed including X-ray examination, and CT (Computerised Tomography) scan to determine the position and angulations to place the titanium implants.
- Raise the gum flap and drill a hole into the jawbone at the pre-determined position and angulation. Then insert the dental implants into the hole and close the gum flap by sutures.
- Wait 3-6 months for the jawbone to unite with the dental implants. After that, perform second stage surgery, remove a small piece of gum covering the dental implant and insert a healing component onto the dental implants. This allows the gum to heal in a better shape around the dental implants.
- False teeth fitting
- When the gums around the dental implants healed up, replace the healing component by an impression component. Then take impressions of the dental arches. The impression component transfers the position and the angulations of the dental implant to the dental impression.
- Fabricate the false teeth (denture, crown or bridge) in the dental laboratory.
- Fix the false teeth onto the dental implants.
Besides the conventional procedures mentioned above, there are some new methods of implant placement which shorten the total time required for treatment and may achieve a better appearance for the false tooth. However, the success rate for the new methods may not be as high as that for the conventional method, and not all cases are suitable. These are the three common new methods :
The one-stage surgical procedure is done by placing the healing abutment onto the implant at the same time during the first surgery, which eliminates the need for a second surgery after 3-6 months.
The immediate implant procedure is done by inserting the implant into the socket immediately or shortly (in few weeks) after extraction. The advantage is not only shorten the whole treatment time required, but also preserve the gum tissue and bone in a better way such that the appearance of the future false teeth can be better. Nevertheless, this method is only suitable for certain cases like no severe inflammation around the extraction tooth, and has sufficient bone thickness around the wound. Therefore, it depends on the dentist’s clinical judgment.
The immediately loaded implant procedure is done by placing the prosthesis at the same time when the implant is inserted. Patient makes only one trip to the dentist and leaves with “teeth’ inserted. Whether this method can be applied is dependent on the dentist’s clinical judgments. It is important to have sufficient stability for the implant to stay at the wound.